Thursday, 29 September 2011

Thing 9: Evernote


I came across Evernote at work a few years back. The ability to download the tool was blocked, so I filed away the URL in Diigo and promptly forgot about it.

Five months ago, I finally joined the rest of the world and bought a smartphone. Downloaded the Evernote tool. Was unable to sign in. Forgot about it.

Which is odd, because according to Belbin, I am a completer-finisher.

23 Things has forced me to go back and spend some time exploring it some more. I'm glad I did.

Like Delicious, it can be used as a simple bookmarking tool. But it's much more sophisticated than just a simple bookmarking tool. It could be more easily compared to Diigo, an information management tool.

Evernote has recognised that it's not just URLs we want to file away. It's images, files, texts from webpages, email's and conversations. It's a virtual online scrapbook that can file things away from a surprising number of sources, with a variety of ways to recall items.

It's easy to like and simple to get started. But I've been using Diigo for some time now. Whilst I haven't compared the two in a systematic way to look at the advantages and disadvantages of using each service, it strikes me that it's not easy to transfer to Evernote. I couldn't see an option to import my existing bookmarks from either my browser or another bookmarking service.

But it's worth exploring, and with the ability to access it from my desktop, browser and smartphone, I'll be coming back to this tool again.

No comments:

Post a Comment